Injured Workers

Injured workers have a duty to disclose their current residential address to the Commission and to report any changes of address as they may occur. Failure by an injured worker to do so may adversely impact the injured worker's receipt of compensation benefits. Please call the Commission at 1-877-664-2566 for assistance with updating addresses.

Employees who suffer on-the-job injuries and diseases may be eligible for benefits under the Virginia Workers' Compensation Act. If injured, you should (1) report your injury to your employer immediately; and (2) file a claim with the Commission no later than two years after the accident. You should take similar immediate action if you are diagnosed with a work-related disease.

You should report the work-related injury or illness to your employer as soon as possible but no later than thirty (30) days from the date the accident occurs, or within thirty (30) days of the date the doctor says you are suffering from a work-related injury. Your employer should file a report of the accident or disease with the Commission within ten days Failure to report your injury or illness to your employer within thirty (30) days could result in your claim being denied. See Va. Code § 65.2-600 for more information.

You should file a claim directly with the Commission to alert us of the accident and protect your rights. Once this occurs, you will receive additional information from the Commission, including a Jurisdiction Claim Number (JCN) and a "PIN" number, which will allow you to have online access to your file through WebFile.

You may file the claim:

  • In person: Complete the Claim for Benefits Form and deliver it to any of our office locations. All visitors, including attorneys, parties and witnesses, may be required to present photo identification to enter Commission facilities.
  • By mail: Complete the Claim for Benefits Form and mail it to: Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission, 333 E. Franklin St., Richmond, VA 23219.
  • By fax: Complete the Claim for Benefits Form and fax it to: 804-823-6956.
  • By Webfile: Use your JCN and PIN number to create a WebFile account. You can then file a claim with the Commission online.


The Commission's Injured Workers Guide, Injured Workers Benefits Guide, and Claims and Hearings Flow Chart help explain the workers' compensation process for injured workers.

Helpful Hints

  • Do not delay in reporting your injury or illness. Your employer may authorize a doctor at the time of your accident.
  • If your accident results in emergency medical treatment, be sure to tell representatives at the emergency care facility that you hurt yourself on the job.
  • If your employer or insurance carrier does not respond to your request for medical treatment, you can contact the Commission for assistance at 1-877-664-2566.

If you need assistance. you may contact the Commission by phone toll-free at 1-877-664-2566 or by email at The Commission can help you by:

  • Informing you of your rights and responsibilities under the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Act.
  • Serving as a resource to you by educating and disseminating information.
  • Assisting you by informally resolving benefit disputes through Alternative Dispute Resolution.
  • Explaining the process for filing a Claim for Benefits.