The Commission is led by a Senior Leadership team consisting of three Commissioners, an Executive Director and a Chief Deputy Commissioner. Commissioners are appointed by the General Assembly and serve six-year terms.
Honorable Robert A. Rapaport, Honorable Wesley G. Marshall, and Honorable R. Ferrell Newman currently serve as Commissioners. The Commissioners elect a Chairman to serve a three-year term. Commissioner Rapaport currently serves as Chairman. Ms. Evelyn V. McGill is the Commission’s Executive Director and Honorable James J. Szablewicz is the Commission’s Chief Deputy Commissioner.
Executive Director's Message:
The Commonwealth of Virginia is a wonderful place to live and a great place to work and raise a family. Owning a business in our state also offers various opportunities to develop, grow and prosper as an entrepreneur or business. Whether you are an employee of a business or an owner of a company, VWC is responsible for carrying out the requirements of the Virginia Workers' Compensation Act, while administering Virginia's workers' compensation program, meeting legal requirements and providing various protections. Most employers doing business in Virginia and most employees working in Virginia are covered under the requirements of the Act. VWC ensures compliance with the Act and all workers’ compensation requirements through its mission and agency operations.
To serve injured workers, victims of crimes, employers, and related industries by providing exceptional services, resolving disputes, and faithfully executing the duties entrusted to us by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Lead the nation as the most effective and innovative state agency.
VWC's Core Values
- Innovative - Introducing or using new ideas or methods, in order to better serve our customers
- Respectful - Marked by or showing respect or reverence at all times
- Accountable - Required to explain actions or decisions
- Reliable - Consistently able to be trusted to do or provide what is needed
- Impartial - Treating all people and groups equally
- Integrity - The quality of being honest and objective; conduct that is of the highest moral character
- Effective - Successful in producing a desired or intended result
VWC's Code of Ethics
VWC’s Code of Ethics is a foundation for accomplishing the VWC’s Mission. It is the purpose of this policy to demonstrate a commitment to maintaining an environment of uncompromising integrity and ethical conduct in upholding the VWC’s Core Values. VWC Policy 1.40 - Code of Ethics