The Administration Department is responsible for a variety of functions and serves as the lead administrative unit for VWC. The Administration Department, under the auspices of the Executive Director, appointed by the Commissioners to manage the agency’s day to day operations, provides senior leadership and coordinates the Leadership Team, comprised of various directors, officers and managers of VWC’s thirteen (13) operating departments.
The operating departments are responsible for executing various service delivery plans and functions for the public and various customers. The operating departments of the Commission include:
- Claims Services
- Correspondence Management
- Criminal Injuries Compensation Fund
- Electronic Data Interchange - Quality Assurance
- Financial Services
- Human Resources
- Information Security
- Information Services
- Outreach Services
- Project Management
Administration coordinates the operations of these departments, ensuring that the agency’s mission is achieved and the requirements of the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Act are met. In addition to providing executive leadership for day to day operations, Administration is responsible for keeping the Commission up to date on agency-wide operations, while seeking the Commissioners’ approval on major policy and changes in operations where required. Additional functions of Administration include, but are not limited to, training and education, Commission policies and procedures development, processing Freedom of Information Act inquiries, legislative bill tracking, producing management reports, managing Commission meeting agendas and workflow, designing and providing information security, training and constituent interaction and follow up.
The Executive Director’s Office is comprised of three (3) staff members, which include:
- Executive Director - Responsible for the day to day operations of the VWC
- Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director - Responsible for providing administrative support to the Executive Director
- Information Security Officer (ISO) - Responsible for Information Security through development and management of the Commission’s Information Security Program
- Policy Analyst – Responsible for the research, design and development of all agency-wide policies for review and approval by the Commission
The ISO fulfills a critical role for VWC and is responsible for various functions, which include the following:
- Implements Security Awareness and Training for the Commission’s employees.
- Verifies and validates that all VWC Information Systems and data are classified for sensitivity.
- Ensures appropriate access to sensitive systems through communication and review with department managers and/or data owners.
- Provides support for conducting and maintaining the agency Business Impact Analysis.
- Conducts the Risk Assessments for sensitive systems.
- Develops Security Plans for sensitive systems.
- Reports Information Security incidents, and reviews for appropriate actions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Tracks exceptions to agency and Commonwealth Information Security policies and standards.
- Serves as the audit contact for external audit reviews and prepares the Commission’s audit plans.
The ISO evaluates the effectiveness of the Commission’s internal controls for information systems and reports to the Executive Director. The ISO maintains a liaison with the Chief Information Officer (CIO).